Saturday, August 28, 2010

Visitors!

After getting back from Nashville we were looking forward to being home, and we were both lucky to have our great friends come to visit!  Nick and Fynn made the trek from Vail for the weekend and got out on the rock with Tommy.  This was my first time meeting Fynn, and it was great getting to know him.  It was also great to spend some more time with Nick in between his travels and busy schedule!  Nick also brought us fresh eggs from the chicken house at their place in Vail annnnnnd....the best part....HOME BREWED BEER.  Honestly, I think this is maybe some of the best beer I have had.  I am no connoisseur, but Nick knows what he is doing.  

Tommy started to write about their adventures while here and has been so slammed with work and traveling that hopefully soon he will get the chance to update the blog!  (It will be great when he writes though...he is such a talented writer...he puts me to shame.  When he starts writing I'm going to have some work to do to keep people amused.)

Nick's Brew!

While Nick and Fynn were visiting I got to have my bestest, Lyndsay, and her roommate and my friend Katy come for 4 days.  We spent a lot of time in the kitchen while they were here making bread and homemade pizza and salads, etc.  It was Katy's first time, or first time in a long time, to Estes so we had to make sure to give her a great tour!  We started out their time with church Sunday morning followed by breakfast at Meadow Mountain cafe in Allenspark and the hike to Ouzel Falls out of Wild Basin.  While on our hike about halfway to the falls a bear darted across the trail 10 feet ahead of us.  Surprised, we hesitated at first to keep walking forward, but finished the hike standing in the mist of Ouzel Falls.  That night we made 3 DELICIOUS homemade pizzas.  The toppings consisted of:  1. Bacon, pear and arugula  2. Margherita with onion on part of it 3. BBQ chicken with onion.  They were so tasty.  I'd have to say the bacon-pear-arugula was my favorite.  Tommy and I had this for the first time when we were in South Africa and are still trying to replicate it.  This one came close.

My favorite...the bacon-pear-arugula!



We had some leftover pizza dough and so the next morning we experimented by rolling the dough into balls, then covering them with melted butter and cinnamon sugar.  We put 3 balls in each muffin cup of the muffin tin and baked them in the oven.  It was alright for an experiment.  Fynn really liked these.  The rest of their trip here consisted of a great couple of runs with Lyndsay (we are training for a half marathon in Napa at the end of October!!), a drive up Trail Ridge, delicious cinnamon rolls in Glenhaven, a trip to the Estes Park Mountain Shop, downtown shop browsing, Lattes and Americanos at Kind Coffee, and I'm pretty sure the list could go on a bit longer, but my brain is a little frazzled so we'll stop there. 

Our left-over pizza dough concoctions.
 

It was sad to see them go, but I'm getting really excited to see Lynds again in California for our adventure!!

Lynds and Katy enjoying the nice evening.
Tommy exhausted at the end of the day.
Fynn showing us his stellar yoga moves.  Very impressive for a 9 year old!
Our honey whole wheat bread dough starting to rise.
The finished product.  A little dense.  I need to figure out how to bake at altitude.


Katy and Lynds on Trail Ridge in RMNP.

1 comment:

  1. look at you with all your blogging & cooking!!! did you make the pizza dough from scratch? I'm going to have to get some tips!!!

    ReplyDelete