Sunday, January 4, 2015

Day 9 on the Dawn Wall

After giving pitch 15 a go Kevin decided it was going to best for him to let his skin heal.  Hopefully it will heal up quick and he can dispatch it day after tomorrow!  He's unbelievably close.  Tommy worked on his "reach around" pitch (some call it the loop...I'll it pitch 15.5) tonight.  It took him a little bit to get it, but finally he finished it.  There is close to an 80 foot down climb in the loop around pitch and Tommy said he had to keep every muscle in his body so tense that by the end his muscles were so pumped and "it was pretty real-deal" to finish it!  The climbing on pitch 16 above the dyno is 5.14a and that's what's up next for Tommy.  Tomorrow is likely a rest day to let skin heal, and then Tuesday will be another big day!  Onward and upward!!  

Kevin on pitch 15 today.  Photo:  Corey Rich

5 comments:

  1. Hi Becca. My name is Angela Greenwood, reporter in Fresno, CA. I love following your husband's incredible journey and am itching to do a story about him and Kevin. I've reached out to both via social media, but assume they both have much bigger things to focus on right now. Any chance you could help me a quick a phone interview with Tommy? Perhaps you'd be willing to do a phone interview as well? Let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. I hope you don't mind me crashing your blog. I am Joel Beam and live in Lafayette, CO. I came across an article on Yahoo talking about Tommy and Kevin climbing El Cap. I lived and worked in Yosemite in 1996 so I read most items I came across mentioning the park. I look forward to reading more updates and their successful completion of the climb. Guys - keep up the good work and 'hang in' there.
    Joel
    P.S. My kids love bowling at Chippers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the updates! I have been following their progress since 2010 when I attended a slideshow by Tommy & Kevin about this project. They couldn't have been nicer. It's great to see them closing in on this. They are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Becca -enjoyed reading your blog with the updates. I am a booker for the show America's Newsroom on Fox News Channel. We've been following Tommy and Kevin's journey. We wanted to invite you to join us on our show for a live interview -would love to get your point of view as watching your husband tackle such an intense climb. We'd really like to set up something this week. If you could please get back to me at your earliest convenience if you are interested in joining us to talk about your husband's climb. I can be reached via email at cherie.paquette@FOXNEWS.com. I look forward to hearing from you!

    Best,
    Cherie

    Cherie Paquette
    Fox News Channel, Washington D.C. Bureau
    Booker, America’s Newsroom 9AM - 11AM ET
    Office: (202) 824-6465

    ReplyDelete